Security and Access Control
Security and access control refers to the measures taken to protect a network from unauthorized access and to ensure that only authorized users and devices are able to communicate over the network.
In the context of a network switch, security and access control can be achieved through several mechanisms, including:
- Authentication: The switch can require authentication from users and devices before allowing them to access the network. This can be done using protocols such as RADIUS and TACACS+.
- Access control lists (ACLs): ACLs allow administrators to specify rules for filtering traffic based on various criteria such as source IP address, destination IP address, and port number. This allows administrators to control which devices and users are able to access specific parts of the network.
- Port security: Port security allows administrators to restrict access to a specific port on the switch to a single device. This can be used to prevent unauthorized devices from accessing the network.
- Encryption: The switch can use encryption technologies such as SSL, TLS, and IPsec to protect the confidentiality and integrity of data transmitted over the network.
- Firewall: The switch can include a firewall to provide additional protection against network-based attacks by filtering and blocking unwanted traffic.
By implementing security and access control measures, a network switch helps to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data transmitted over the network. This is particularly important in business networks, where sensitive information must be protected against unauthorized access and theft.
L3 Routing Capabilities
L3 Routing capabilities refer to the ability of a network switch to perform layer 3 routing functions. In other words, L3 routing allows the switch to forward data packets based on the destination IP address rather than just the destination MAC address, as is done in layer 2 switches.
With L3 routing capabilities, the switch can act as a router, making routing decisions based on the IP address of the incoming and outgoing data packets. This enables the switch to route traffic between different subnets and VLANs (Virtual Local Area Networks) within the network.
L3 routing also enables the switch to support features such as static routing, dynamic routing protocols (such as OSPF and BGP), and access control lists (ACLs) for filtering and managing network traffic.
Advanced Traffic Monitoring
Advanced Traffic Monitoring refers to the ability of a network switch to monitor and analyze network traffic in real-time, providing detailed information about the behavior and patterns of network traffic. This information can be used by network administrators to optimize network performance, troubleshoot issues, and identify potential security threats.
Some of the key features of advanced traffic monitoring include:
- Traffic Analysis: The switch can collect detailed information about network traffic, such as the number of packets sent, the bandwidth usage, and the distribution of traffic by source and destination IP addresses.
- Traffic Filtering: The switch can be configured to filter and capture specific types of network traffic, such as traffic to and from a specific IP address or port.
- Traffic Visualization: The switch can provide graphical representations of network traffic, allowing administrators to quickly and easily identify trends, patterns, and potential issues.
- Alerts and Notifications: The switch can generate alerts and notifications in real-time when certain traffic thresholds are exceeded or when potential security threats are detected.
- Traffic History: The switch can store detailed information about network traffic over time, allowing administrators to perform historical analysis and trend analysis to identify long-term trends and patterns.
Advanced Traffic Monitoring is a crucial tool for network administrators, as it provides the visibility and insight needed to ensure the efficient and secure operation of a network. By monitoring network traffic in real-time, administrators can quickly identify and resolve issues, and make informed decisions about how to optimize network performance.
General Information about this Dell PCT8164
- Manufacturer: Dell
- Part Number or SKU# PCT8164
- Device Type: Layer 3 Switch
Technical Information of Dell 48 Ports Switch
- Total Number of Network Ports: 48
- Number of Network (rj-45) Ports: 48
- Layer Supported: 4
- Manageable: Yes
- Poe (rj-45) Port: No
- Input Voltage: 110 V Ac, 220 V Ac
- Form Factor: Rack-mountable
- Media Type Supported: Twisted Pair
- Ethernet Technology: 40 Gigabit Ethernet
- Network Technology: 10gbase-t
- Number of Total Expansion Slots: 3
- Expansion Slot Type: QSFP+
- Compatible Rack Unit: 1u
- Port/expansion Slot Details: 48 X 10 Gigabit Ethernet Network, 2 X 40 Gigabit Ethernet Expansion Slot, 1 X Expansion Slot
About Refurbished Products
Different Types of Switches
Networking switches vary widely depending on the number of devices they can support, network bandwidth/speed, and form factor. Switches for small offices will have anything between 4 and 8 ports and can fit on a desk. For larger office network implementation, switches may have 24 ports, 48 ports, 96 ports, and 128 ports and are rack-mountable between 1U and 4U. Switches come in different types depending on the network speed and tasks they support. These include 40/100 Gbps, 10 Gigabit (up to 10000 Mbps), Gigabit Ethernet (up to 1000 Mbps), Power over Ethernet, and Fast Ethernet (10/100 Mbps).
The unmanaged switches offer fixed configurations on a plug-and-play basis. It is the most basic switch and there are a few choices in the market. These switches are affordable, but the basic features make them inappropriate for enterprise applications.
The number of features and level of functionality improves with managed switches, making them ideal for enterprise and business applications. These switches are built with the command-line interface for ease of configuration. Equally, they support SNMP agents that come in handy when troubleshooting network issues.
The security on managed switches is better and will protect different types of traffic. Other features include support for virtual LANs, IP routing, and quality of service settings. Managed switches are more expensive compared to all other types of switches.
Smart switches refer to switches that possess more features than those unmanaged switches but do not have the full features of managed switches. Smart switches are more cost-effective than managed switches.
Some of the limitations of the smart switches are a lack of telnet access support, Web GUIs, and a lack of many features for VLANs. They are affordable compared to a fully managed switch and are suitable for a smaller computer network.
Modular switches allow the addition of expansion modules as the network expands. The expansion modules allow for more networked devices but are application-specific. They may include wireless access points, firewalls, or network analysis tools. The flexibility of a modular networking switch comes at a higher cost.
ALLHDD guarantees that the products will not have defects in material that will affect the product's functionality during the Standard Warranty Period. The warranty period starts when the merchandise/items from our warehouse.
What does ALLHDD.Com warranty cover?
30-days to 3 years warranty:
Replacement or refund. In the case of material defects, we will try to replace the product first. The product will be replaced before the expiration of the original warranty. For any failure of hardware, if we cannot process the replacement of the product(s)/model(s), we will refund the original selling/invoiced price. The shipping costs and sales tax, if any, are non-refundable. ALLHDD retains the right to decide whether the item(s) will process for replacement or refund.
What is not covered by our warranty?
The reason why our warranty does not cover any problem caused by the following conditions:
(a) misuse of hardware; accidental damage; carelessness product(s) damage; shock; temperature beyond the specification of any product; faulty installation; operation; modification of goods;
(b) any misuse outside the instructions in the user manual for any specific product;
(c) damaged caused by other hardware or equipment. The warranty will void if the item is returned with physical damage, damage to the retail box, removed from the box, counterfeit labels/labelled by them, or any modifications of internal and external covers. Data loss or damages to any other equipment we do not cover by our offered warranty.
What is the Manufacturer/Brand Warranty?
In general, a manufacturer's warranty service/support is a written guarantee to the buyer of a product. Its terms assure the replacement or repair of the product, if necessary, within a specified period after the purchase (2-5 years depending on the brand/manufacturer). It is typically included in the price of the product. Products are brand new and sealed and the original manufacturer box is complete with the Manufacturer's genuine warranty. For most of the brand new/retail products that come with the manual and box, exceptions may apply (i.e., Cisco, Juniper Networks).
For the server parts (i.e., Dell, HPE) to get Full coverage of the warranty server must have a full 3- 5 years warranty. However, ALLHDD.COM will cover the warranty duration if any Manufacturer doesn't support the advertised warranty and there is no refund for those.
Final Sale items are non-returnable/refundable in any situation. Any question? please ask our team before the shipment.
We can provide additional warranty service/support for any product you purchase from us if you need additional warranty coverage before finalizing the order from ALLHDD.Com. You need to ask in live chat/help or call us for more information.
Individual product warranty mentioned on each item product description page/detail page.
Free Technical support on purchased items, our expert consultancy over the phone, by email, by live chat, or by remote login.
Shipping Options and Estimated Delivery Time
UPS Shipping Options:
FREE UPS® Ground (Free shipping to all orders for 48 states!)
Estimated delivery time: 4-7 business days
UPS 3 Day Select®
Estimated delivery time: 3 business days
UPS 2nd Day Air®
Estimated delivery time: 1-2 business days, Delivery by 10:30 AM or 2:00 PM
UPS Next Day Air® Standard Overnight
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 2-5 PM, Standard Overnight Delivery.
UPS Next Day Air® - Priority Overnight
Estimated delivery time: Overnight Delivery (Next Business Day) Delivery by 10:30 AM or 12:00 PM
UPS Next Day Air® First Overnight - Early A.M
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 8:00 AM, Early morning, overnight delivery for your time-critical shipments.
UPS® First Overnight - Saturday
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 8:30 AM – Saturday
FedEx Shipping Options:
Estimated delivery time: (4–7 business days in the contiguous 48 states)
*For residential delivery via FedEx Ground use FedEx Home Delivery®
Estimated delivery time: 4−7 business days, based on the distance to the destination.
FedEx Express Saver®
Estimated delivery time: 3 business days (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses; by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states (except Hawaii and Alaska)
Estimated delivery time: 2 business days (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses; by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states
FedEx Standard Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses and by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states (Hawaii is outbound only)
FedEx Priority Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 10:30 PM to U.S. businesses, noon to most residences)
Available throughout all 50 states
FedEx First Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 8:30 or 9 AM to most areas)
Available throughout all 50 states
Worldwide Shipping Options:
UPS®/FedEx® International Economy
Estimated delivery time: 4-7 business days
UPS®/FedEx® International Priority
Estimated delivery time: 2-4 business days
UPS®/FedEx® Ground Shipping Canada
Estimated delivery time: 5-8 business days
- The processing of orders with Ground Shipping can take up to 24-48 hours. But we try to process all orders the same day.
- We are not responsible for weather problems that may affect the delivery of goods by carriers. We cannot guarantee the exact delivery time, regardless of the carriers' claims.
- If you have any specific delivery time requirements, please contact our customer support and someone from our customer service team will be able to help you.
- You can estimate the shipping cost from the products detail page, also available on the checkout page
- The shipping cost depends on box dimensions, weight, and zip/postal code
- To get a FedEx® delivery service you need to mention it on the checkout page notebox.
- For urgent shipments, please contact our customer service.
- Shipping cut off 4:00 PM (Monday-Friday) and available blind drop shipment.