Product Overview for the Dell 0NPM5 3.84TB SSD
In the world of data storage and computing, the Dell 0NPM5 3.84 Terabytes (TB) Self-Encrypting SED FIPS 140-2 Mix Use Triple Level Cell (TLC) Serial-Attached SCSI (SAS) 12 Gigabytes Per Second (GBPS) 512e 2.5-inch PM6 Series Hot Plug Solid State Drive may seem like a mouthful of technical jargon. However, breaking down this complex name and diving into its components can help us understand what this storage device is all about, why it matters, and who can benefit from it.
In this article, we'll explore the Dell 0NPM5 SSD in detail, covering its various features, capabilities, and use cases. Whether you're an IT professional looking for the right storage solution for your organization or simply a tech enthusiast curious about the latest advancements in storage technology, this article will provide you with valuable insights.
Understanding the Dell 0NPM5 SSD
Let's start by dissecting the name of the Dell 0NPM5 SSD to gain a better understanding of its specifications and capabilities.
- Dell: The brand name, Dell, signifies the manufacturer of this storage device. Dell is a well-known and reputable company in the field of computer hardware, including storage solutions.
- 0NPM5: This alphanumeric code is likely a model or part number specific to this SSD. It helps identify the exact product within Dell's product lineup.
- 3.84 Terabytes (TB): This figure represents the storage capacity of the SSD, which is an impressive 3.84 terabytes. To put it in perspective, this is equivalent to storing thousands of hours of high-definition videos, millions of photos, or countless documents.
- Self-Encrypting: The term "Self-Encrypting" indicates that this SSD has built-in encryption capabilities. Encryption is a method of securing data by converting it into a code that can only be deciphered with the appropriate key. Self-encrypting drives are designed to protect sensitive data from unauthorized access.
- SED (FIPS 140-2): SED stands for Self-Encrypting Drive, which we've already discussed. The addition of "FIPS 140-2" is significant. FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standards) 140-2 is a security standard used by the U.S. government to assess the security of cryptographic modules. An SSD that meets FIPS 140-2 standards has undergone rigorous testing and is considered highly secure. This is especially important for organizations that handle sensitive or classified data.
- Mix Use: "Mix Use" refers to the type of workload this SSD is optimized for. In the world of storage, workloads are categorized as either read-intensive, write-intensive, or mixed-use (a combination of both). A mix-use SSD is designed to handle a balance of read and write operations, making it versatile for various applications.
- Triple Level Cell (TLC): TLC is a type of NAND flash memory technology used in SSDs. NAND flash memory is where data is stored in solid-state drives. TLC NAND is known for offering a good balance between cost, capacity, and performance. It stores multiple bits of data per cell, which makes it cost-effective but slightly less durable than other NAND types like SLC (Single-Level Cell) or MLC (Multi-Level Cell).
- Serial-Attached SCSI (SAS): SAS is a type of interface used for connecting storage devices to a computer or server. SAS SSDs are known for their reliability, high data transfer rates, and compatibility with enterprise-level applications. The 12 Gigabytes Per Second (GBPS) indicates the data transfer speed of this SSD, which is exceptionally fast.
- 512e: This term refers to the advanced format of the SSD. The "e" stands for emulation, and 512e drives emulate the older 512-byte sector size while actually using 4K (4096-byte) sectors internally. This is done for compatibility with legacy systems that expect the 512-byte sector size.
- 2.5-inch: This measurement indicates the physical size of the SSD. It's designed to fit into a standard 2.5-inch drive bay, which is a common size for both laptops and servers.
- PM6 Series: The "PM6 Series" likely signifies the product line or series to which this SSD belongs. Different series within a manufacturer's lineup may have varying features, capacities, or target use cases.
- Hot Plug: "Hot Plug" capability means that the SSD can be inserted or removed from a system while it's powered on and operational. This is a valuable feature in enterprise environments where minimizing downtime is crucial.
Now that we've broken down the name, let's explore the significance of each of these features and how they contribute to the overall capabilities of the Dell 0NPM5 SSD.
Storage Capacity - 3.84 Terabytes (TB)
One of the most prominent features of the Dell 0NPM5 SSD is its substantial storage capacity of 3.84 terabytes. In the world of data storage, capacity is king, and having nearly 4TB of storage space in a single drive is a significant advantage. This level of capacity is especially valuable for organizations dealing with massive datasets, such as those in scientific research, data centers, or video production.
Here are some common use cases that benefit from high-capacity SSDs like the Dell 0NPM5:
- Data Centers: Data centers are the backbone of the digital world, hosting and processing vast amounts of data. High-capacity SSDs are essential for data center operators looking to maximize storage density while minimizing physical footprint and power consumption.
- Big Data Analytics: Analyzing large datasets for insights and decision-making requires ample storage capacity. The Dell 0NPM5 can efficiently handle the storage needs of big data analytics platforms, ensuring quick access to data for processing.
- Media Production: Video editing, 3D rendering, and multimedia content creation demand significant storage space for raw footage and project files. High-capacity SSDs like this one enable smooth and efficient media production workflows.
- Scientific Research: In fields like genomics, climate modeling, and particle physics, researchers generate enormous datasets that require storage for analysis. Large SSD capacity allows researchers to access and manipulate data quickly.
- Virtualization: Virtualization technologies like VMware and Hyper-V benefit from high-capacity SSDs to store virtual machine images efficiently. This results in faster virtual machine provisioning and improved overall system performance.
Self-Encrypting and FIPS 140-2 Compliance
The Dell 0NPM5 SSD's self-encrypting feature is crucial for data security. Encryption ensures that data stored on the drive remains confidential and protected from unauthorized access. Self-encrypting drives handle the encryption process internally, making it seamless for users and minimizing the impact on system performance.
The inclusion of FIPS 140-2 compliance takes data security a step further. FIPS 140-2 is a government standard for cryptographic modules, and compliance with this standard indicates a high level of security. Organizations that handle sensitive information, such as government agencies, healthcare providers, and financial
General Information about this Dell 0NPM5
- Manufacturer: Dell
- Part Number or SKU# 0NPM5
- Product Type: SAS-12GBPS
- Product Name: Solid State Drive
- Type: Solid State Drive (Self-encrypting FIPS 140-2, Hot-swap)
- Capacity: 3.84 TB
- NAND Flash Memory Type: V-NAND TLC
- Form Factor: 2.5 inches
- Interface Type: SAS 12 Gbps
- Data Transfer Rate: 1.2 GB/s
- Features: Mixed Use
- Drive Transfer Rate: 1.2 Gbps (external)
- Expansion & Connectivity
- Interfaces: 1 x SAS 12 Gb/s
- Compatible Bays: 1 x Hot-swap - 2.5 Inch
Compatibility with the following systems
- PowerEdge MX740c
- PowerEdge MX750c
- PowerEdge MX840c
- PowerEdge XR11
- PowerEdge XR12
- PowerEdge XR2
ALLHDD guarantees that the products will not have defects in material that will affect the product's functionality during the Standard Warranty Period. The warranty period starts when the merchandise/items from our warehouse.
What does ALLHDD.Com warranty cover?
30-days to 3 years warranty:
Replacement or refund. In the case of material defects, we will try to replace the product first. The product will be replaced before the expiration of the original warranty. For any failure of hardware, if we cannot process the replacement of the product(s)/model(s), we will refund the original selling/invoiced price. The shipping costs and sales tax, if any, are non-refundable. ALLHDD retains the right to decide whether the item(s) will process for replacement or refund.
What is not covered by our warranty?
The reason why our warranty does not cover any problem caused by the following conditions:
(a) misuse of hardware; accidental damage; carelessness product(s) damage; shock; temperature beyond the specification of any product; faulty installation; operation; modification of goods;
(b) any misuse outside the instructions in the user manual for any specific product;
(c) damaged caused by other hardware or equipment. The warranty will void if the item is returned with physical damage, damage to the retail box, removed from the box, counterfeit labels/labelled by them, or any modifications of internal and external covers. Data loss or damages to any other equipment we do not cover by our offered warranty.
What is the Manufacturer/Brand Warranty?
In general, a manufacturer's warranty service/support is a written guarantee to the buyer of a product. Its terms assure the replacement or repair of the product, if necessary, within a specified period after the purchase (2-5 years depending on the brand/manufacturer). It is typically included in the price of the product. Products are brand new and sealed and the original manufacturer box is complete with the Manufacturer's genuine warranty. For most of the brand new/retail products that come with the manual and box, exceptions may apply (i.e., Cisco, Juniper Networks).
For the server parts (i.e., Dell, HPE) to get Full coverage of the warranty server must have a full 3- 5 years warranty. However, ALLHDD.COM will cover the warranty duration if any Manufacturer doesn't support the advertised warranty and there is no refund for those.
Final Sale items are non-returnable/refundable in any situation. Any question? please ask our team before the shipment.
We can provide additional warranty service/support for any product you purchase from us if you need additional warranty coverage before finalizing the order from ALLHDD.Com. You need to ask in live chat/help or call us for more information.
Individual product warranty mentioned on each item product description page/detail page.
Free Technical support on purchased items, our expert consultancy over the phone, by email, by live chat, or by remote login.
Shipping Options and Estimated Delivery Time
UPS Shipping Options:
FREE UPS® Ground (Free shipping to all orders for 48 states!)
Estimated delivery time: 4-7 business days
UPS 3 Day Select®
Estimated delivery time: 3 business days
UPS 2nd Day Air®
Estimated delivery time: 1-2 business days, Delivery by 10:30 AM or 2:00 PM
UPS Next Day Air® Standard Overnight
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 2-5 PM, Standard Overnight Delivery.
UPS Next Day Air® - Priority Overnight
Estimated delivery time: Overnight Delivery (Next Business Day) Delivery by 10:30 AM or 12:00 PM
UPS Next Day Air® First Overnight - Early A.M
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 8:00 AM, Early morning, overnight delivery for your time-critical shipments.
UPS® First Overnight - Saturday
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 8:30 AM – Saturday
FedEx Shipping Options:
Estimated delivery time: (4–7 business days in the contiguous 48 states)
*For residential delivery via FedEx Ground use FedEx Home Delivery®
Estimated delivery time: 4−7 business days, based on the distance to the destination.
FedEx Express Saver®
Estimated delivery time: 3 business days (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses; by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states (except Hawaii and Alaska)
Estimated delivery time: 2 business days (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses; by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states
FedEx Standard Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses and by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states (Hawaii is outbound only)
FedEx Priority Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 10:30 PM to U.S. businesses, noon to most residences)
Available throughout all 50 states
FedEx First Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 8:30 or 9 AM to most areas)
Available throughout all 50 states
Worldwide Shipping Options:
UPS®/FedEx® International Economy
Estimated delivery time: 4-7 business days
UPS®/FedEx® International Priority
Estimated delivery time: 2-4 business days
UPS®/FedEx® Ground Shipping Canada
Estimated delivery time: 5-8 business days
- The processing of orders with Ground Shipping can take up to 24-48 hours. But we try to process all orders the same day.
- We are not responsible for weather problems that may affect the delivery of goods by carriers. We cannot guarantee the exact delivery time, regardless of the carriers' claims.
- If you have any specific delivery time requirements, please contact our customer support and someone from our customer service team will be able to help you.
- You can estimate the shipping cost from the products detail page, also available on the checkout page
- The shipping cost depends on box dimensions, weight, and zip/postal code
- To get a FedEx® delivery service you need to mention it on the checkout page notebox.
- For urgent shipments, please contact our customer service.
- Shipping cut off 4:00 PM (Monday-Friday) and available blind drop shipment.