Key Features and Benefits of the Dell Perc H840 Controller
The Dell Perc H840 PCI-E 3.0 SAS Raid Controller is a high-performance storage controller that provides enterprise-class reliability, scalability, and flexibility. Some of the key features and benefits of the MV5PD Dell Perc H840 PCI-E 3.0 SAS Raid Controller are:
- High performance: The Dell Perc H840 controller delivers high performance with up to 12Gbps SAS data transfer rates and 8GB cache.
- Scalability: The controller supports up to 240 SAS or SATA drives, making it suitable for large-scale storage environments.
- RAID support: The Dell Perc H840 controller supports RAID levels 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, and 60, providing data redundancy and protection against disk failures.
- Flexibility: The controller supports a wide range of drive types, including SAS, SATA, and solid-state drives (SSDs), providing flexibility in storage configurations.
- Easy management: The Dell Perc H840 controller can be easily managed using the Dell OpenManage Storage Services (OMSS) software, which provides a unified management interface for all Dell storage products.
- Improved data integrity: The controller supports data integrity features such as end-to-end data protection and T10 data protection, which help to ensure data is safe and secure.
- Energy efficient: The Dell Perc H840 controller is designed to be energy-efficient, with a low-power consumption design that helps reduce operational costs.
Managing and Monitoring the Dell Perc H840 Controller
The Dell Perc H840 PCI-E 3.0 SAS RAID controller is a high-performance RAID controller designed for enterprise-level storage applications. To effectively manage and monitor this controller, you can follow the steps below:
- Install the Dell OpenManage Storage Management (OMSM) software: OMSM is a web-based application that provides a graphical user interface for managing and monitoring the Dell RAID controllers. You can download the latest version of OMSM from the Dell website and install it on your management workstation or server.
- Configure the RAID arrays: Once the OMSM is installed, you can configure the RAID arrays on the Dell Perc H840 controller. You can create RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, and 60 arrays using the OMSM interface.
- Monitor the RAID controller: The OMSM software provides real-time monitoring of the RAID controller, including its performance, health, and status. You can monitor the controller's temperature, battery backup unit (BBU) status, and disk status using the OMSM interface.
- Configure alerts and notifications: You can configure alerts and notifications for various events on the Dell Perc H840 controller. For example, you can set up alerts for disk failures, battery backup unit (BBU) status, and controller failures. You can configure the alerts to be sent via email, SNMP traps, or syslog.
- Perform firmware and driver updates: It is important to keep the firmware and driver of the Dell Perc H840 controller up to date to ensure optimal performance and compatibility. You can use the OMSM interface to check for firmware and driver updates and perform the updates as needed.
- Perform regular backups: Regular backups of the RAID arrays are crucial to ensure data protection and availability. You can use the OMSM interface to schedule regular backups of the RAID arrays.
Configuration Options of MV5PD Dell Perc H840 PCI-E
The Dell PERC H840 is a PCI-E 3.0 SAS RAID controller that offers robust performance and flexibility for a variety of storage environments. Here are some of the key configuration options for the MV5PD Dell Perc H840:
- RAID Levels: The PERC H840 supports a range of RAID levels, including RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, and 60. Depending on the specific requirements of your storage environment, you can choose the RAID level that provides the desired balance of performance, data protection, and capacity utilization.
- Cache Options: The PERC H840 offers a choice of cache options, including a battery-backed cache (BBC) module and a non-volatile cache (NVC) module. Both options provide data protection in the event of power loss, but the NVC module offers higher performance and better scalability.
- Drive Types: The PERC H840 supports a variety of drive types, including SAS, SATA, and NVMe. Depending on your performance and capacity requirements, you can choose the drive type that best suits your needs.
- Disk Group Size: The PERC H840 supports a maximum disk group size of 255 drives. However, the optimal disk group size will depend on a range of factors, including the performance requirements of your applications and the available capacity of your drives.
- Enclosure Management: The PERC H840 supports enclosure management features that enable you to monitor and manage your storage enclosures from a single interface. This can be especially useful in large-scale storage environments with multiple enclosures.
- Virtual Disk Cache Policy: The PERC H840 allows you to configure the cache policy for each virtual disk. Depending on your application requirements, you can choose to enable or disable caching, or configure the cache for either read or write operations.
General Information about this Dell MV5PD
- Manufacturer: Dell
- Part Number or SKU# MV5PD
- Product Type : Controller
- Product Name : SAS-SATA
- Form factor: Low Profile PCIe 3.0 x8
- Interface: 2 x SAS 12Gb/s Ports
- Cache memory: 8GB DDR4 SDRAM
- RAID levels: RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, and 60
- Data Transfer Rate: 12 Gb/s per port
- Drive Support: Up to 16 SAS or SATA drives
- Drive Interface: SAS/SATA 12Gb/s, 6Gb/s, or 3Gb/s
- OS Support: Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, VMware ESXi, Citrix XenServer, Ubuntu Server
- Dimensions: 6.6 x 2.5 inches (167.6 x 64.4 mm)
Contact us or ask for live chat/help if you have any questions about the compatibility of this item to ensure the model's matching features with your current system.
About New Bulk Pack Products
SAS controllers facilitate the use of SATA drives to increase the storage capacity with extreme ease. You can get the best SAS SATA controllers here on allhdd.com. Our SAS SATA controllers are some of the best you can find around at the best prices.
SATA is the acronym for Serial Advanced Technology Attachment while the SCSI, nicknamed Scuzzy, is short for Serial Attached Small Computer System Interface.
SATA and SAS connectors help link up your computer components, including media and hard drives to the system's motherboard. SATA drives are more affordable and used for personal computing while fast and reliable SAS drives are the best fit for servers.
On the other hand, SAS controllers work flawlessly on SATA hard drives because both share identical infrastructure and possess related characteristics.
If you'd prefer speed over space, then a SAS-based hard drive is your best bet. However, SATA drives on the other hand, while lagging in terms of speed have a much larger storage capacity.
Data Transfer Speed
Throughput is the volume of data that a drive can move, process, or read and write in a specific amount of time. The drive's throughput is usually tested to measure its speed.
The Input/output operations per second (IOPS) may also be measured. However, the IOPS and throughput outcomes usually imply the same things about the drive.
While the SAS drives boast higher throughput than SATA drives; there are fewer general delays. But there is some overlap between the more high-speed SATA drives and slower SAS drives. On allhdd.com, you can shop some of the best SAS SATA controllers from well-known brands across the world.
While a handful of factors affect the drive's performance, the major factor affecting throughput is the revolution per minute (rpm). Consequently, the higher the rpm, the higher the drive's throughput.
The speed variation is most notable when dealing with large files. A SAS drive boasting 15000 rpm will most likely read and write a 1TB file faster than a SATA drive with 7200 rpm.
Most SATA-based drives' usual speed ranges from 5400 rpm to 7200 rpm, and most SAS-based drives run between 7200 rpm and 15000 rpm.
SAS-SATA Controllers on Allhdd.com
While you can count on both quality and affordability, we also bring you a wide range of SAS SATA controllers to cater to your storage needs. SAS and SATA's notable difference is that SAS is developed to endure 24/7 performance in firms, including data centers. Choose from our collection of top-quality SAS SATA controllers including 24 Port, PERC H830, Expander Card, PERC H330, PERC H730, PERC 5, Host Bus Adapter, Equallogic, PERC H710, 4 Port, 1-Port, 8 Port, PERC H700, PERC H800, Smart Array, Serveraid, PERC H740, Raid Controller, PCI-E, 12 Port, Controller Card, and16 Port.
You can use a SATA drive for servers just as you would use a SAS drive. However, the SATA drive would deliver a slower performance and a higher probability of failing or hinting at a failure. This laxity could prove expensive to firms that depend on such drives.
A SAS drive has a mean time between failures (MTBF) that ranges from (1.2-1.6 million) hours of use at 113°F (45°C), while that of a SATA drive is about (700,000-1.2 million) hours of use at 77°F (25°C).
SATA disk drives offer many benefits, including the fact that they boast an unbeatable combination of low cost, high capacity, and performance. Taking advantage of this with SAS SATA controllers could bring a significant return on investment. You can count on a 24/7 customer care center for all issues regarding sales and delivery. Allhdd.com delivers all items free of charge within the 48 U. S. states. Please choose from our collection of top-quality SAS SATA controllers today for optimum performance.
ALLHDD guarantees that the products will not have defects in material that will affect the product's functionality during the Standard Warranty Period. The warranty period starts when the merchandise/items from our warehouse.
What does ALLHDD.Com warranty cover?
30-days to 3 years warranty:
Replacement or refund. In the case of material defects, we will try to replace the product first. The product will be replaced before the expiration of the original warranty. For any failure of hardware, if we cannot process the replacement of the product(s)/model(s), we will refund the original selling/invoiced price. The shipping costs and sales tax, if any, are non-refundable. ALLHDD retains the right to decide whether the item(s) will process for replacement or refund.
What is not covered by our warranty?
The reason why our warranty does not cover any problem caused by the following conditions:
(a) misuse of hardware; accidental damage; carelessness product(s) damage; shock; temperature beyond the specification of any product; faulty installation; operation; modification of goods;
(b) any misuse outside the instructions in the user manual for any specific product;
(c) damaged caused by other hardware or equipment. The warranty will void if the item is returned with physical damage, damage to the retail box, removed from the box, counterfeit labels/labelled by them, or any modifications of internal and external covers. Data loss or damages to any other equipment we do not cover by our offered warranty.
What is the Manufacturer/Brand Warranty?
In general, a manufacturer's warranty service/support is a written guarantee to the buyer of a product. Its terms assure the replacement or repair of the product, if necessary, within a specified period after the purchase (2-5 years depending on the brand/manufacturer). It is typically included in the price of the product. Products are brand new and sealed and the original manufacturer box is complete with the Manufacturer's genuine warranty. For most of the brand new/retail products that come with the manual and box, exceptions may apply (i.e., Cisco, Juniper Networks).
For the server parts (i.e., Dell, HPE) to get Full coverage of the warranty server must have a full 3- 5 years warranty. However, ALLHDD.COM will cover the warranty duration if any Manufacturer doesn't support the advertised warranty and there is no refund for those.
Final Sale items are non-returnable/refundable in any situation. Any question? please ask our team before the shipment.
We can provide additional warranty service/support for any product you purchase from us if you need additional warranty coverage before finalizing the order from ALLHDD.Com. You need to ask in live chat/help or call us for more information.
Individual product warranty mentioned on each item product description page/detail page.
Free Technical support on purchased items, our expert consultancy over the phone, by email, by live chat, or by remote login.
Shipping Options and Estimated Delivery Time
UPS Shipping Options:
FREE UPS® Ground (Free shipping to all orders for 48 states!)
Estimated delivery time: 4-7 business days
UPS 3 Day Select®
Estimated delivery time: 3 business days
UPS 2nd Day Air®
Estimated delivery time: 1-2 business days, Delivery by 10:30 AM or 2:00 PM
UPS Next Day Air® Standard Overnight
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 2-5 PM, Standard Overnight Delivery.
UPS Next Day Air® - Priority Overnight
Estimated delivery time: Overnight Delivery (Next Business Day) Delivery by 10:30 AM or 12:00 PM
UPS Next Day Air® First Overnight - Early A.M
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 8:00 AM, Early morning, overnight delivery for your time-critical shipments.
UPS® First Overnight - Saturday
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 8:30 AM – Saturday
FedEx Shipping Options:
Estimated delivery time: (4–7 business days in the contiguous 48 states)
*For residential delivery via FedEx Ground use FedEx Home Delivery®
Estimated delivery time: 4−7 business days, based on the distance to the destination.
FedEx Express Saver®
Estimated delivery time: 3 business days (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses; by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states (except Hawaii and Alaska)
Estimated delivery time: 2 business days (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses; by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states
FedEx Standard Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses and by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states (Hawaii is outbound only)
FedEx Priority Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 10:30 PM to U.S. businesses, noon to most residences)
Available throughout all 50 states
FedEx First Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 8:30 or 9 AM to most areas)
Available throughout all 50 states
Worldwide Shipping Options:
UPS®/FedEx® International Economy
Estimated delivery time: 4-7 business days
UPS®/FedEx® International Priority
Estimated delivery time: 2-4 business days
UPS®/FedEx® Ground Shipping Canada
Estimated delivery time: 5-8 business days
- The processing of orders with Ground Shipping can take up to 24-48 hours. But we try to process all orders the same day.
- We are not responsible for weather problems that may affect the delivery of goods by carriers. We cannot guarantee the exact delivery time, regardless of the carriers' claims.
- If you have any specific delivery time requirements, please contact our customer support and someone from our customer service team will be able to help you.
- You can estimate the shipping cost from the products detail page, also available on the checkout page
- The shipping cost depends on box dimensions, weight, and zip/postal code
- To get a FedEx® delivery service you need to mention it on the checkout page notebox.
- For urgent shipments, please contact our customer service.
- Shipping cut off 4:00 PM (Monday-Friday) and available blind drop shipment.