More Information for the Broadcom 9580-8I8E PCI-E Adapter
In the world of data storage and server management, high-performance storage adapters are crucial for ensuring efficient data handling, storage, and retrieval. The Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500 PCI-E Gen 4.0 Tri-mode Storage Adapter is a cutting-edge solution designed to meet the demands of modern data centers and enterprises. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the features, benefits, and functionality of this storage adapter, breaking down the technical jargon into simple language to help you understand its significance.
What is the Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500?
The Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500 is a storage adapter, specifically a RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) controller card, which plays a crucial role in managing data storage in servers and other computing systems. It is designed and manufactured by Broadcom Inc., a prominent technology company known for its innovations in semiconductors, connectivity solutions, and infrastructure software.
RAID controllers are responsible for improving data storage performance, reliability, and redundancy. They are commonly used in server setups where multiple hard drives or solid-state drives (SSDs) are combined to work together efficiently. These controllers help in managing the storage devices and ensure that data is stored and retrieved without any loss or downtime.
Key Features of the Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500
The Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500 boasts a range of features that make it a desirable choice for businesses and data centers. Let's delve into some of the key features:
- PCI-E Gen 4.0 Interface: The Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500 is equipped with a PCI-E Gen 4.0 interface, which offers high-speed data transfer. This means that it can efficiently handle the data throughput required by modern applications and storage devices.
- Tri-mode Support: The "Tri-mode" in the name of this storage adapter is significant. It means that it supports a variety of storage media types, including SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) HDDs (Hard Disk Drives), SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) HDDs, and NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express) SSDs. This adaptability allows for greater flexibility in configuring your storage setup.
- 8 Internal Ports: The Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500 comes with eight internal ports, which means it can connect to multiple drives simultaneously. This is especially important for businesses and data centers with large storage requirements.
- 8 External Ports: In addition to the internal ports, it also has eight external ports. These ports can be used for connecting external storage devices, which can be particularly useful for expanding your storage capacity as needed.
- Support for NVMe SSDs: The adapter supports NVMe SSDs, which are known for their high-speed performance. This ensures that your storage setup can handle data-intensive tasks without any bottlenecks.
- Data Protection Features: The MegaRAID 9500 offers advanced data protection features such as RAID levels (e.g., RAID 0, 1, 5, 6) and support for hot spare drives. These features help safeguard your data against drive failures and ensure data integrity.
- CacheVault Technology: CacheVault technology provides additional data protection by preserving cached data in the event of a power failure. This prevents data loss and maintains the stability of your storage system.
- RAID Management Software: Broadcom provides RAID management software that allows you to configure, monitor, and manage your storage array with ease. This user-friendly software simplifies the setup and maintenance of your storage solution.
- Performance Optimization: The MegaRAID 9500 is designed to maximize storage performance. It supports features like RAID cache, which can significantly improve the read and write speeds of your storage array.
- Scalability: Whether you are a small business or a large enterprise, the Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500 is scalable to meet your specific storage needs. You can start with a few drives and expand your storage array as your data requirements grow.
- Compatibility: This storage adapter is compatible with a wide range of operating systems and platforms, ensuring that you can integrate it into your existing infrastructure without major compatibility issues.
The Significance of PCI-E Gen 4.0
PCI-E (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express) is a standard interface for connecting various hardware components within a computer. It is commonly used for connecting graphics cards, network cards, and, in the case of the Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500, storage adapters. The "Gen 4.0" in PCI-E Gen 4.0 refers to the fourth generation of this interface, and it brings several advantages.
- Increased Bandwidth: PCI-E Gen 4.0 offers double the bandwidth of its predecessor, Gen 3.0. This means that it can transfer data at much higher speeds. With the Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500, this translates to faster data transfer between your storage devices and the rest of your system.
- Support for Modern Applications: Many modern applications, especially in data-intensive fields such as data analytics, artificial intelligence, and 3D rendering, require high-speed data access. PCI-E Gen 4.0 ensures that your storage subsystem doesn't become a bottleneck for such applications.
- Future-Proofing: Investing in PCI-E Gen 4.0 technology means that your system will be ready for future advancements in storage and computing. As technology continues to evolve, having a high-speed interface can extend the lifespan of your hardware.
Tri-Mode Support Explained
The "Tri-mode" support in the Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500 is a standout feature, but what does it mean in practical terms? This support allows the storage adapter to work with three different types of storage media: SAS HDDs, SATA HDDs, and NVMe SSDs. Let's break down the significance of each:
- SAS HDDs: SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) HDDs are known for their reliability and performance. They are often used in enterprise environments where data integrity and speed are critical. The MegaRAID 9500's support for SAS HDDs ensures that you can use these drives in your storage setup.
- SATA HDDs: SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) HDDs are widely used in consumer and business environments. They are cost-effective and come in a variety of capacities. The Tri-mode support allows you to integrate existing SATA drives into your storage solution, saving you money on storage upgrades.
- NVMe SSDs: NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express) SSDs are the fastest storage devices available. They are particularly useful for applications that require lightning-fast data access, such as high-performance databases and real-time analytics. The support for NVMe SSDs means that you can take full advantage of their speed in your storage configuration.
Having the flexibility to use these three types of storage media in the same storage adapter gives you the ability to tailor your storage setup to your specific needs. For example, you can use SAS HDDs for critical data that requires high reliability, SATA HDDs for less critical data, and NVMe SSDs for applications that demand exceptional speed.
Understanding RAID and Data Protection
RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) is a technology that allows multiple hard drives to work together as a single unit, improving performance and providing redundancy in case of drive failures. The Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500 supports various RAID levels, including RAID 0, 1, 5, and 6. Let's explain these RAID levels and the importance of data protection:
- RAID 0: RAID 0, also known as striping, is all about performance. It splits data into blocks and writes those blocks across multiple drives simultaneously. This results in faster data access, as multiple drives can read or write data in parallel. However, RAID 0 does not provide any redundancy, so if one drive fails, all data is lost. It is suitable for applications that prioritize speed over data protection.
- RAID 1: RAID 1, also known as mirroring, is all about data redundancy. In RAID 1, data is duplicated on two drives. If one drive fails, the other drive still contains all the data, ensuring no data loss. RAID 1 is suitable for applications where data integrity is paramount, but it doesn't provide a performance boost like RAID 0.
- RAID 5: RAID 5 is a compromise between performance and data protection. It uses striping like RAID 0 but adds parity information to provide redundancy. If one drive fails, the data can be reconstructed using the parity information from the other drives. RAID 5 is suitable for applications that need both performance and some level of data protection.
- RAID 6: RAID 6 is an extension of RAID 5. It adds an additional level of redundancy by using dual parity. This means that even if two drives fail simultaneously, the data can still be reconstructed. RAID 6 is suitable for applications where data loss is unacceptable, such as critical business operations.
In addition to supporting these RAID levels, the Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500 also offers support for hot spare drives. A hot spare is an extra drive that remains unused until another drive fails. When a drive fails, the hot spare automatically takes over, ensuring that there is no downtime in your storage system. This proactive approach to data protection is a valuable feature for businesses that cannot afford any interruptions in data access.
CacheVault technology is a feature that adds an extra layer of data protection to the Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500. To understand its significance, let's first explain what "cache" means in the context of storage controllers.
Storage controllers often use a portion of the system's memory (RAM) as a cache. This cache serves as a temporary storage location for frequently accessed data. When data is read from or written to storage, it is first placed in the cache, which is much faster to access than the actual storage media. This results in improved performance because the system can read or write data more quickly from the cache.
However, there is a potential problem with using cache. If there is a sudden power loss or system failure, the data in the cache may be lost because it hasn't had a chance to be written to the slower, but more persistent, storage media. This can result in data corruption or loss.
CacheVault technology addresses this issue by providing a solution to protect the data in the cache. It does this by using a dedicated power source, typically a supercapacitor, to provide enough power to write the data from the cache to the storage media in case of a power failure. This ensures that data is not lost or corrupted even in the event of an unexpected power outage.
CacheVault is a critical feature for businesses that rely on the integrity of their data. It prevents data loss and maintains the stability of the storage system, even in adverse situations.
RAID Management Software
The Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500 comes with RAID management software, which is an essential tool for configuring, monitoring, and managing your storage array. Let's explore the functions and benefits of RAID management software:
- Configuration: RAID management software allows you to configure your storage array according to your specific needs. You can choose the RAID level that suits your data protection and performance requirements, set up hot spare drives, and define how data is distributed across the drives.
- Monitoring: The software provides real-time monitoring of the health and status of your storage array. It can alert you to potential issues, such as drive failures or overheating, so you can take proactive measures to maintain the integrity of your data.
- Maintenance: You can use the software to perform routine maintenance tasks, such as updating firmware or drivers for the storage adapter. Regular maintenance is crucial for ensuring the long-term reliability of your storage infrastructure.
- Data Migration: If you need to migrate data from one storage array to another, the RAID management software can simplify this process. It can help you move data seamlessly, reducing the risk of data loss or downtime during the migration.
- Expansion: As your data storage needs grow, you may need to add more drives to your storage array. RAID management software can assist in expanding your array without disrupting your existing data or applications.
- User-Friendly Interface: Most RAID management software is designed with a user-friendly interface, making it accessible to both IT professionals and administrators who may not have an in-depth technical background.
By using RAID management software, you can take full control of your storage infrastructure and ensure that it operates at its best, minimizing downtime and data loss.
To optimize the performance of the 9580-8I8E Broadcom MegaRAID 9500 PCI-E Gen 4.0 Tri-mode Storage Adapter, you can follow these best practices:
- Hardware Configuration: Make sure that the system meets the minimum requirements for the adapter, such as a PCI-E Gen 4.0 slot, sufficient power supply, and appropriate cooling.
- Firmware and Driver Upgrades: Keep the adapter's firmware and drivers up to date to take advantage of performance improvements and bug fixes.
- Disk Configuration: For maximum performance, use the latest and fastest drives available, such as NVMe or SAS drives, and configure them in a RAID 0, 1, 5, or 10 array.
- Queue Depth: The queue depth, or the number of I/O requests that can be sent to a device at once, can affect the performance of the adapter. To increase the queue depth, modify the settings in the adapter's BIOS or through the MegaRAID management software.
- Read-Ahead Cache: The read-ahead cache allows the adapter to anticipate the next read requests and cache the data, improving performance. You can configure the read-ahead cache through the MegaRAID management software.
- Write-Back Cache: The write-back cache allows the adapter to cache write requests and write them to the disk in larger chunks, improving performance. You can configure the write-back cache through the MegaRAID management software.
- Stripe Size: The stripe size, or the size of the data block used in a RAID array, can affect the performance of the adapter. You can configure the stripe size through the MegaRAID management software.
It's important to note that performance optimization is highly dependent on the specific use case, hardware configuration, and workloads. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer's documentation or website for specific performance optimization information.
Operating System Compatibility
The Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500 PCI-E Gen 4.0 Tri-mode Storage Adapter is compatible with a wide range of operating systems, including:
- Windows: Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, 2016, 2019, and Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
- Linux: Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6. x, 7. x, 8. x, CentOS 6. x, 7. x, 8. x, Oracle Linux 6. x, 7. x, 8. x, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11, 12, 15, and Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04, 20.04.
- VMware: VMware vSphere 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 6.7, 7.0.
- Citrix XenServer 7.1, 7.2.
- FreeNAS 11, 11.2, 11.3, 11.3-U3, 11.3-U4, 11.3-U5.
It's important to note that for some operating systems, specific versions and driver support may vary, and compatibility may depend on the specific hardware and configuration of your system. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer's documentation or website for specific compatibility information.
General Information about this Broadcom 9580-8I8E
- Manufacturer: Broadcom
- Part Number or SKU# 9580-8I8E
- Product Type: Controller
- Product Name: SAS-SATA
Technical Information of PCI-E Controller Adapter
- Device Type: Raid Controller
- Port Count 8 Internal, 8 Externa
- Connectors One X8 Sff-8654 2 X4 Sff-8644
- Host Interface X8 PCIe Gen 4.0
- Storage Interface 12GB/S SAS, 6GB/S SATA, GEN 4.0 PCIE (NVME)
- Raid On Chip Controller(roc) SAS3916
- Max Devices Per Controller SAS/SATA: 240NVME: 32
- Cache Size 8 GB
- Cache Protection Cachevault, Cvpm05
Raid Features Information for Raid Controller
- Raid Levels 0, 1, 5, And 6
- Raid Spans 10, 50, And 60
- Jbod Mode With R0/1/10 And Jbod For SDS Environments
- Online Capacity Expansion (OCE)
- Auto Resume After Loss Of System Power During Array Rebuild Or Oce
- Single Controller Multipathing
- Load Balancing
- Configurable Stripe Size Up To 1 MB
- Fast Initialization For Quick Array Setup
- Check Consistency For Background Data Integrity
- SSD Support With SSD Guard Technology
- Patrol Read For Media Scanning And Repairing
- 64 Virtual Drive Support
- DDF Compliant Configuration On Disk (cod)
- S.m.a.r.t. Support
- Global And Dedicated Hot Spare With Revertible Hot Spare Support:
- Automatic Rebuild
- Enclosure Affinity
- Emergency Sata Hot Spare For Sas Arrays
- Enclosure Management:
- SES (inband)
- Sgpio (sideband)
- Universal Backplane Management (UBM) Ready
- Databolt Bandwidth Optimizer Technology Support For Compatible Expander-based Enclosures
- Shield State Drive Diagnostic Technology• Megaraid Safestore Software For Sed Key Management
- Lsi Storage Authority (lsa)
- Storcli (command-line Interface)
- Hii (UEFI Human Interface Infrastructure)
- Os Support > Microsoft Windows, Vmware Vsphere/ESXi, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Suse Linux, Ubuntu Linux, Citrix XenServer, Centos Linux, Debian Linux, Oracle Enterprise Linux, Fedora, Freebsd.
- Dimensions 6.600 In. × 2.712 In. ( 167.65 Mm × 68.90 Mm)
- Operating Conditions Operating: 0°c To 55°c, 5 To 90% Non-condensing Storage: -45°c To 105°c, 5 To 95% Non-condensing
- Typical Power 14.25w
- Operating Voltage 12v ±8%. 3.3v ±9%
- MTBF (calculated) >3,000,000 Hours At 40°cd
In summary, the Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500 PCI-E Gen 4.0 Tri-mode Storage Adapter is a versatile and high-performance storage solution suitable for a wide range of applications, from enterprise data centers to video production and more. Its support for different drive types, RAID capabilities, and high data transfer rates make it a valuable addition to any storage infrastructure.
By understanding its features, benefits, and applications, you can make an informed decision on whether to integrate this storage adapter into your organization's infrastructure. Proper installation, maintenance, and monitoring will ensure that your storage system operates smoothly and reliably, meeting the data storage and performance demands of your business or organization.
As technology continues to advance, storage solutions like the Broadcom 9580-8I8E MegaRAID 9500 play a crucial role in handling the ever-increasing volumes of data generated by modern businesses and applications. With its adaptability and high-performance capabilities, it is well-equipped to meet the storage needs of today and tomorrow.
ALLHDD guarantees that the products will not have defects in material that will affect the product's functionality during the Standard Warranty Period. The warranty period starts when the merchandise/items from our warehouse.
What does ALLHDD.Com warranty cover?
30-days to 3 years warranty:
Replacement or refund. In the case of material defects, we will try to replace the product first. The product will be replaced before the expiration of the original warranty. For any failure of hardware, if we cannot process the replacement of the product(s)/model(s), we will refund the original selling/invoiced price. The shipping costs and sales tax, if any, are non-refundable. ALLHDD retains the right to decide whether the item(s) will process for replacement or refund.
What is not covered by our warranty?
The reason why our warranty does not cover any problem caused by the following conditions:
(a) misuse of hardware; accidental damage; carelessness product(s) damage; shock; temperature beyond the specification of any product; faulty installation; operation; modification of goods;
(b) any misuse outside the instructions in the user manual for any specific product;
(c) damaged caused by other hardware or equipment. The warranty will void if the item is returned with physical damage, damage to the retail box, removed from the box, counterfeit labels/labelled by them, or any modifications of internal and external covers. Data loss or damages to any other equipment we do not cover by our offered warranty.
What is the Manufacturer/Brand Warranty?
In general, a manufacturer's warranty service/support is a written guarantee to the buyer of a product. Its terms assure the replacement or repair of the product, if necessary, within a specified period after the purchase (2-5 years depending on the brand/manufacturer). It is typically included in the price of the product. Products are brand new and sealed and the original manufacturer box is complete with the Manufacturer's genuine warranty. For most of the brand new/retail products that come with the manual and box, exceptions may apply (i.e., Cisco, Juniper Networks).
For the server parts (i.e., Dell, HPE) to get Full coverage of the warranty server must have a full 3- 5 years warranty. However, ALLHDD.COM will cover the warranty duration if any Manufacturer doesn't support the advertised warranty and there is no refund for those.
Final Sale items are non-returnable/refundable in any situation. Any question? please ask our team before the shipment.
We can provide additional warranty service/support for any product you purchase from us if you need additional warranty coverage before finalizing the order from ALLHDD.Com. You need to ask in live chat/help or call us for more information.
Individual product warranty mentioned on each item product description page/detail page.
Free Technical support on purchased items, our expert consultancy over the phone, by email, by live chat, or by remote login.
Shipping Options and Estimated Delivery Time
UPS Shipping Options:
FREE UPS® Ground (Free shipping to all orders for 48 states!)
Estimated delivery time: 4-7 business days
UPS 3 Day Select®
Estimated delivery time: 3 business days
UPS 2nd Day Air®
Estimated delivery time: 1-2 business days, Delivery by 10:30 AM or 2:00 PM
UPS Next Day Air® Standard Overnight
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 2-5 PM, Standard Overnight Delivery.
UPS Next Day Air® - Priority Overnight
Estimated delivery time: Overnight Delivery (Next Business Day) Delivery by 10:30 AM or 12:00 PM
UPS Next Day Air® First Overnight - Early A.M
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 8:00 AM, Early morning, overnight delivery for your time-critical shipments.
UPS® First Overnight - Saturday
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 8:30 AM – Saturday
FedEx Shipping Options:
Estimated delivery time: (4–7 business days in the contiguous 48 states)
*For residential delivery via FedEx Ground use FedEx Home Delivery®
Estimated delivery time: 4−7 business days, based on the distance to the destination.
FedEx Express Saver®
Estimated delivery time: 3 business days (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses; by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states (except Hawaii and Alaska)
Estimated delivery time: 2 business days (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses; by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states
FedEx Standard Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses and by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states (Hawaii is outbound only)
FedEx Priority Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 10:30 PM to U.S. businesses, noon to most residences)
Available throughout all 50 states
FedEx First Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 8:30 or 9 AM to most areas)
Available throughout all 50 states
Worldwide Shipping Options:
UPS®/FedEx® International Economy
Estimated delivery time: 4-7 business days
UPS®/FedEx® International Priority
Estimated delivery time: 2-4 business days
UPS®/FedEx® Ground Shipping Canada
Estimated delivery time: 5-8 business days
- The processing of orders with Ground Shipping can take up to 24-48 hours. But we try to process all orders the same day.
- We are not responsible for weather problems that may affect the delivery of goods by carriers. We cannot guarantee the exact delivery time, regardless of the carriers' claims.
- If you have any specific delivery time requirements, please contact our customer support and someone from our customer service team will be able to help you.
- You can estimate the shipping cost from the products detail page, also available on the checkout page
- The shipping cost depends on box dimensions, weight, and zip/postal code
- To get a FedEx® delivery service you need to mention it on the checkout page notebox.
- For urgent shipments, please contact our customer service.
- Shipping cut off 4:00 PM (Monday-Friday) and available blind drop shipment.