Networking - Serial Adapter
Serial Adapter types
A serial adapter is a type of device used for data transfer by adding more serial ports for access to a device. It is used in connecting to old machines that have fewer ports. By connecting the serial adapter to the device, the user is guaranteed more ports for data transmission subject to the number of ports the adapter has. Although, the transfer speeds aren't fast, which necessitates the increase in ports for data transfer. The USB to serial adapter is the most common form of the adapter used for enabling more data transfer options. It is important to note that adapters could have a female or male DB9 port and as such, this should be factored into the kind of adapter that would be bought when purchasing one. Inside an adapter, there are two kinds of processing chips;
- USB to serial adapter chip which converts all the USB data to serial data and all the serial data to USB data and,
- A serial driver chip that acts as a form of a powerhouse to amplify the connection(s) to the serial port(s).
Types of Serial Adapters
Subject to the number of serial ports needed to enable a scalable option for your data transfer via the RS232 serial port, we have various kinds of serial adapters that can guarantee high speed. At ALLHDDD we have the following adapters that can be useful for your data transfer.
- 1 port: This adapter allows you to connect serial ports, RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, etc. via a USB port for you to control a serial device. It is quite easy to install and works with a variety of operating systems from Linux to Windows 8. Furthermore, it allows data transfer rates from 128 kbps to 921.6 Kbps. If you need a cost-effective product that provides serial connectivity to multiple devices like point-of-sale terminals, serial modems, etc. this is your go-to product.
- 2 port: Our 2 port serial adapters convert a single USB port into two serial RS232 ports thereby allowing you to control and monitor your connected serial devices. It does not require any form of an external power source. Very useful when connecting legacy or industrial RS232 serial devices to more modern computers, or computers with unused USB ports. This product is compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems.
- 4 port: This 4 Port Serial Combo Card - 2 x RS232 2 x RS422 / RS485 allows you to add two RS232, and two RS422/485 serial ports to your PC via a PCI-Express expansion slot. It also supports RS-232, RS-422, RS-485 2-wire, or RS-485 4-wire operating modes.
- 8 port: Our 8 port serial adapters come in various models. It lets you connect up to eight RS232 serial devices to your PC, or desktop via a single USB port, as though the computer offered integrated DB 9M serial connectors. There are also the bus-powered kinds that come with the feature of a serial adapter while we also offer adapters that are compatible with x1, x4, x8, or x16 PCI Express expansion slots on systems. It allows serial communication on RS-232/422/485 and supports up to 981 kbps data transmission.
At ALLHDD, our products are certified to give you value for your money while maintaining a standard in quality.