The GLC-SX-MM is a Cisco 1000 Base-SX SFP transceiver module. It is a hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into a Gigabit Ethernet port or slot, linking the port with the fiber-optic network. The GLC-SX-MM is designed to work with multimode fiber cables and provides a data transfer rate of up to 1 Gbps.
The "SX" in the name stands for "short wavelength," which indicates that the module uses short-wavelength lasers to transmit and receive data. The "MM" stands for "multimode," indicating that the module is compatible with multimode fiber cables.
The GLC-SX-MM is typically used in LAN (Local Area Network) and data center environments where distances between network devices are relatively short, typically up to a few hundred meters. It operates at a wavelength of 850 nm and supports link lengths of up to 550 meters on 50/125µm multimode fiber and up to 275 meters on 62.5/125µm multimode fiber.
The GLC-SX-MM module is also hot-swappable, meaning it can be inserted or removed from the switch or router without powering down the entire system. This makes it easy to replace or upgrade network connections without disrupting network operation.
Network Management and Security
The GLC-SX-MM Cisco 1000 Base-SX SFP (mini-GBIC) transceiver module is a hot-swappable input/output device that is designed to be used with Cisco networking equipment. This transceiver module is used to connect to Ethernet networks using multimode fiber optic cabling, and provides a gigabit Ethernet connection. Here's an overview of the network management and security features of this module:
- Network management: The GLC-SX-MM transceiver module is designed to be used with Cisco networking equipment, which provides a range of network management capabilities. Cisco switches and routers support SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol), which enables network administrators to monitor and manage network devices, including transceiver modules. SNMP can be used to monitor the performance and health of the network, and to identify and troubleshoot issues.
- Security: The GLC-SX-MM transceiver module supports a range of security features, including data encryption and access control. Data encryption can be used to secure sensitive data that is transmitted over the network, while access control can be used to restrict access to the network to authorized users. Cisco networking equipment also supports a range of security protocols, including Secure Shell (SSH) and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), which provide secure access to the network.
- Compatibility: The GLC-SX-MM transceiver module is designed to be compatible with a range of Cisco networking equipment, including switches and routers. This ensures that the module can be used in a variety of network environments and configurations.
- Reliability: The GLC-SX-MM transceiver module is designed for high reliability and availability. It is hot-swappable, which means that it can be inserted or removed from a network device without interrupting the operation of the device or the network. This makes it easy to replace a faulty module or upgrade the network without causing downtime.
The GLC-SX-MM Cisco 1000 Base-SX SFP (small form-factor pluggable) transceiver module is compliant with a number of standards, including:
- IEEE 802.3z - This standard defines 1000BASE-SX, which is a type of Gigabit Ethernet that uses short wavelength (850nm) optical fibers to transmit data at a rate of 1 Gbps over distances up to 550 meters.
- Small Form-factor Pluggable (SFP) Multi-Sourcing Agreement (MSA) - The SFP MSA is an industry-wide agreement that defines the mechanical, electrical, and optical interfaces for SFP transceivers. This allows for interoperability between different brands of SFP transceivers and equipment.
- RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) - This is a European Union directive that restricts the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment. The GLC-SX-MM is compliant with this directive, meaning it does not contain any of the restricted substances.
- MSA SFP Specification - The Cisco GLC-SX-MM module is compliant with the MSA SFP specification.
- 1000BASE-SX SFP specification - Cisco GLC-SX-MM is compliant with 1000BASE-SX SFP specification.
- The Fiber Channel FC-PI-2 - The Fiber Channel FC-PI-2 is a standard which defines the physical and electrical characteristics of optical and copper interconnects and interfaces for use in Fibre Channel.
General Information about this Cisco GLC-SX-MM
- Manufacturer: Cisco
- Model Number or SKU# GLC-SX-MM
- Product Type: SFP (mini-GBIC)
Technical Information for 1000 Base SX SFP Mini GBIC
- 1000 Base-SX SFP (mini-GBIC)
- Application/Usage Data Networking
Interfaces/Ports of Transceiver Module
- Interfaces/Ports 1 x 1000 Base-SX LAN
- Interfaces/Ports Details 1 x LC Duplex 1000 Base-SX Network LAN
- Connectivity Media 50 µm Multi-mode Optical Fiber 1000 Base-SX
- Connectivity Media 62.5 µm Multi-mode Optical Fiber 1000 Base-SX
- Data Transfer Rate 1 Gbps Gigabit Ethernet
Dimension and Weight
- Height 0.4 Inch
- Width 0.5 Inch
- Depth 2.2 Inch
- Weight 1 LBS
- Cisco 7304: The Cisco 7304 is a modular router designed for high-performance applications such as service provider edge routing and internet peering. It supports up to 4 line-rate 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) ports and up to 16 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) ports.
- Cisco 7301: The Cisco 7301 is a high-performance router designed for small to medium-sized networks. It supports up to 5 line-rate Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) ports and up to 1 million packets per second (pps) forwarding rate.
- Cisco 12000: The Cisco 12000 is a modular router designed for service provider edge routing and internet peering. It supports up to 16 line-rate 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) ports and up to 320 Gigabit per second (Gbps) forwarding rate.
- Cisco CSS 11500: The Cisco CSS 11500 is a content services switch designed for high-performance web and application traffic management. It supports up to 16 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) ports and can provide up to 48 Gbps of throughput.
- Catalyst 2940: The Catalyst 2940 is a fixed-configuration switch designed for small to medium-sized networks. It supports up to 24 10/100 Ethernet ports and provides basic Layer 2 switching capabilities.
- Catalyst 2950: The Catalyst 2950 is a fixed-configuration switch designed for small to medium-sized networks. It supports up to 24 10/100 Ethernet ports and provides basic Layer 2 switching capabilities.
- Catalyst 3750: The Catalyst 3750 is a stackable switch designed for medium to large-sized networks. It supports up to 48 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports and provides advanced Layer 2 and Layer 3 switching capabilities.
- Catalyst 6500: The Catalyst 6500 is a modular switch designed for large-sized networks. It supports up to 720 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports or up to 256 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) ports, and provides advanced Layer 2 and Layer 3 switching capabilities. It is often used as a core switch in large enterprise networks.
Building a fiber-optic network calls for a lot of planning and consideration of many factors. Transceivers are part of the many devices used to build optical fiber systems. A transceiver serves the combined roles of a transmitter and a receiver in that it transmits and receives signals. They are most common in communication equipment such as cellular phones, cordless telephone sets, and radio. Small form factors are required as networks become dense and space is limited, which sees transceivers included in chipsets.
In local area networks (LAN), a transceiver is used to connect a computer to printers and other devices on the network. Usually, the transceiver is integrated into the Network Interface Card (NIC)
Typical Roles of a Transceiver
- Used to convert frequencies from IF to RF.
- Widespread use in wireless communication to transmit data – voice, data, and video.
- RF transceivers are used in communication devices to support radio and TV signal transmission, digital signals transmission, and satellite communication.
- Collision detection – detection of simultaneous signals on the network.
- Transceivers can be deployed to provide a jabber function to interrupt transmission of long data stream outputs.
Look no further for all types of transceivers including fiber optic transceivers, wireless transceivers, Ethernet transceivers, and RF transceivers. All these transceivers have different characteristics and support full-duplex communication, but the principle behind their work remains the same. Different types of transceivers will have varying numbers of ports used in transceiver networking connections.
RF Transceivers: these devices are used to transmit video or voice data over a wireless medium. Commonly used for satellite communication, radio transmission, and ITE/WiMax/WLAN networks. The radio transceiver works by silencing the receiver when it is transmitting. There is an electronic switch that facilitates the connection of both the receiver and transmitter on the same antenna. The switch protects the receiver from damage that may be caused by the transmitter output.
Fiber Optic Transceivers: Also referred to as optical modules or fiber optical transceivers. Used to transmit data in fiber optic technology. The network must also have electronic components to encode or decode data into light signals.
Ethernet Transceivers: Basically used to connect electronic devices in a network so that they are able to transmit and receive data. It is also referred to as a media access unit (MAU). The best application of these transceivers is in the specification of IEEE 802.3 and Ethernet. Ethernet transceivers will detect a collision, provide Ethernet interface processing, convert digital data, and provide access to the network.
Wireless Transceivers: Wireless transceivers are a fundamental component necessary for data delivery in wireless networks. These transceivers have two layers. The physical layer has a baseband processor and RF front end. The processor converts a bitstream to a collection symbol flow for data transmission. The second layer is a MAC layer for link traffic control in contacting wireless links, improving data throughput, and preventing collisions.
We guarantee our customers high quality and reliability for all our transceiver networking solutions, irrespective of the type and size of your network.
Here, you can check more available conditions of your desired product GLC-SX-MM at a competitive price. We are trying our best to meet your needs on the enterprise-level computer, server, data centre, and networking hardware. You are welcome to ask our live chat or get live representative support over the phone.
Other Available Conditions for this Part
Other Available Categories For - Networking - Transceiver
ALLHDD guarantees that the products will not have defects in material that will affect the product's functionality during the Standard Warranty Period. The warranty period starts when the merchandise/items from our warehouse.
What does ALLHDD.Com warranty cover?
30-days to 3 years warranty:
Replacement or refund. In the case of material defects, we will try to replace the product first. The product will be replaced before the expiration of the original warranty. For any failure of hardware, if we cannot process the replacement of the product(s)/model(s), we will refund the original selling/invoiced price. The shipping costs and sales tax, if any, are non-refundable. ALLHDD retains the right to decide whether the item(s) will process for replacement or refund.
What is not covered by our warranty?
The reason why our warranty does not cover any problem caused by the following conditions:
(a) misuse of hardware; accidental damage; carelessness product(s) damage; shock; temperature beyond the specification of any product; faulty installation; operation; modification of goods;
(b) any misuse outside the instructions in the user manual for any specific product;
(c) damaged caused by other hardware or equipment. The warranty will void if the item is returned with physical damage, damage to the retail box, removed from the box, counterfeit labels/labelled by them, or any modifications of internal and external covers. Data loss or damages to any other equipment we do not cover by our offered warranty.
What is the Manufacturer/Brand Warranty?
In general, a manufacturer's warranty service/support is a written guarantee to the buyer of a product. Its terms assure the replacement or repair of the product, if necessary, within a specified period after the purchase (2-5 years depending on the brand/manufacturer). It is typically included in the price of the product. Products are brand new and sealed and the original manufacturer box is complete with the Manufacturer's genuine warranty. For most of the brand new/retail products that come with the manual and box, exceptions may apply (i.e., Cisco, Juniper Networks).
For the server parts (i.e., Dell, HPE) to get Full coverage of the warranty server must have a full 3- 5 years warranty. However, ALLHDD.COM will cover the warranty duration if any Manufacturer doesn't support the advertised warranty and there is no refund for those.
Final Sale items are non-returnable/refundable in any situation. Any question? please ask our team before the shipment.
We can provide additional warranty service/support for any product you purchase from us if you need additional warranty coverage before finalizing the order from ALLHDD.Com. You need to ask in live chat/help or call us for more information.
Individual product warranty mentioned on each item product description page/detail page.
Free Technical support on purchased items, our expert consultancy over the phone, by email, by live chat, or by remote login.
Shipping Options and Estimated Delivery Time
UPS Shipping Options:
FREE UPS® Ground (Free shipping to all orders for 48 states!)
Estimated delivery time: 4-7 business days
UPS 3 Day Select®
Estimated delivery time: 3 business days
UPS 2nd Day Air®
Estimated delivery time: 1-2 business days, Delivery by 10:30 AM or 2:00 PM
UPS Next Day Air® Standard Overnight
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 2-5 PM, Standard Overnight Delivery.
UPS Next Day Air® - Priority Overnight
Estimated delivery time: Overnight Delivery (Next Business Day) Delivery by 10:30 AM or 12:00 PM
UPS Next Day Air® First Overnight - Early A.M
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 8:00 AM, Early morning, overnight delivery for your time-critical shipments.
UPS® First Overnight - Saturday
Estimated delivery time: Overnight 8:30 AM – Saturday
FedEx Shipping Options:
Estimated delivery time: (4–7 business days in the contiguous 48 states)
*For residential delivery via FedEx Ground use FedEx Home Delivery®
Estimated delivery time: 4−7 business days, based on the distance to the destination.
FedEx Express Saver®
Estimated delivery time: 3 business days (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses; by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states (except Hawaii and Alaska)
Estimated delivery time: 2 business days (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses; by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states
FedEx Standard Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 4:30 PM to U.S. businesses and by 8:00 PM to residences)
Available throughout all 50 states (Hawaii is outbound only)
FedEx Priority Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 10:30 PM to U.S. businesses, noon to most residences)
Available throughout all 50 states
FedEx First Overnight®
Estimated delivery time: Next-business-day (by 8:30 or 9 AM to most areas)
Available throughout all 50 states
Worldwide Shipping Options:
UPS®/FedEx® International Economy
Estimated delivery time: 4-7 business days
UPS®/FedEx® International Priority
Estimated delivery time: 2-4 business days
UPS®/FedEx® Ground Shipping Canada
Estimated delivery time: 5-8 business days
- The processing of orders with Ground Shipping can take up to 24-48 hours. But we try to process all orders the same day.
- We are not responsible for weather problems that may affect the delivery of goods by carriers. We cannot guarantee the exact delivery time, regardless of the carriers' claims.
- If you have any specific delivery time requirements, please contact our customer support and someone from our customer service team will be able to help you.
- You can estimate the shipping cost from the products detail page, also available on the checkout page
- The shipping cost depends on box dimensions, weight, and zip/postal code
- To get a FedEx® delivery service you need to mention it on the checkout page notebox.
- For urgent shipments, please contact our customer service.
- Shipping cut off 4:00 PM (Monday-Friday) and available blind drop shipment.